Joining Our Group
- Parents / Riders complete the Rider Application Form and mention on the form any disability the rider has. This forms the basis of their Rider Record. They also complete a Membership Form for the Group.
- After assessment, by our qualified and experienced instructor, lessons can be booked on a weekly basis.
- Group riding lessons, for 2 to 4 riders, take place on Saturdays, between 10am - 2pm, all year round, weather permitting.
- Lessons cost £10 per 30 minutes. Lessons can be paid for monthly by Direct Debit.
- Our instructors work closely with physiotherapists to encourage all our riders to aim for attainable goals - some modest, others more ambitious.
- On days when we cannot ride we offer stable management lessons in the classroom and stables when it is warm enough. These sessions cost £5.
- Certificates and Badges are awarded to riders to highlight any achievements.
- We have our own Achievement Award system which compliments the RDA one that we use to recognise smaller steps that our riders have achieved.
- We take part in the Qualifiers for the RDA National Championships in the following disciplines - Countryside Challenge, Dressage, Musical Ride and Arts and Craft.
Each Rider is assigned a horse or pony suited to their size & ability, and a Leader (to lead & take responsibility for the horse). There may also be up to 2 side-walkers to assist with the rider's balance or confidence.
The work we do not only improves the Rider's physical well-being via the exercise of riding, but builds on social skills and ability to interact with other people by the Rider's association with the Groups' helpers and other riders. We often find that the horse helps to improve the Rider's ability to interact with others, and in some cases the communication with their pony is the first step they take to acknowledging the existence of other people.